Saturday, January 10, 2009

The world is a lovely place!

It is a new year. The sun is shining, the snow is glistening, my spirits are soaring today. At my age (and given the longevity problem in my family), every new year is a gift. Most of my family members don't live to be much older than I am now and many have not lived to be my age, so I appreciate another chance to get my life right.

Christmas was fun this year. The new recumbent exercise bicycle we got has been put to use (by ME!) every single day and I believe this is the year that I am going to get control of everything. I have already lost 10 pounds (the doctor's scale) and my doc was impressed that I actually LOST weight over the holidays. Not much is serious physically wrong with me and, with some hard work and determination, I can get back much of my former stamina. It helps that when I was younger I rode a bicycle to work and back every day, some 8 miles a day, so my legs actually like the exercise.

I love my job. Helping families find their way in this hard world makes my own troubles seem so insignificant. I truly go to work each day with a joy for the tasks ahead. Most of the people I work with appreciate my efforts on their part and most of them are glad to have been involved with the government agency for which I work.

My family is my foundation. It is solid. My husband, whom I have known for 37 years, is a loving, supportive, nurturing man. My children are an affirmation that I did something right. As my middle daughter pointed out to me this morning, they are all pretty much ok. None of them are alcoholics, none of them uses illegal drugs, and three of them have made it to adulthood with most of their sanity intact. The fourth is still a child, so he has some time to get it all straightened out before he is responsible for himself.

My grandchildren are amazing. You often don't have time when you are parenting to look closely at the little people under your care and appreciate how marvelous they are. You're most often trying to keep them safe, fed, housed, and out of mischief. Their loveliness can easily escape you under those circumstances. The eldest will be 16 this month, the youngest will be 4 on Valentine's Day (how appropriate!). The others will be 15, 13, two 11-year-olds, and 5 this year. They have all planted themselves firmly in our hearts.

My home is wonderful. It's flaws are part of what makes it unique and special. The yard is beyond beautiful. Right now, the trees are covered in snow and the paths through the property are hidden underneath winter's blanket. Just yesterday evening, a herd of deer wandered through. We stop what we are doing during their passing, so as not to scare them and so we can simply admire their grace.

My New Year's Resolution this year is to appreciate what I have.

No comments: